Friday, June 7, 2013

Indiana Jones Adventure: Decoder Cards

Actually it's just one card. Like everyone who knows me in real life or reads this blog (which I think no one does) the main reason I go to Disneyland is for the Indiana Jones Adventure Ride. I love that ride! It's one of my favorite rides. Sadly the price of a ticket to Disneyland has sky rocketed to $92 and this will make it even harder to visit Indy. I'm not saying I won't visit Disneyland (I probably am) but the ticket price is a barrier. But I'm getting off topic.  The Indiana Jones Adventure ride opened at Disneyland on March 4, 1995 and is located in Adventureland (makes sense right). Since then it has been operated. 

Here's what most folks don't know. On the opening day, Disney employees who worked at the Indiana Jones ride gave out these decoder cards to every guest who rode the ride on opening day (big Disney fans know this by the way). They also gave out these cards called "Forty Years of Adventure" which I'm not to familiar with. But it's the Indiana Jones cards that I am interested in. 
Indiana Jones Decoder Card
But what are these decoder cards for anyway?" one may ask. If anyone has ever rode the Indiana Jones Adventure ride, you'll see these hieroglyphics or "Mara-glyphics" written all over the temple walls. Well, with these decoder card any guest could figure out what these hieroglyphics really said. Which is totally awesome right? It's was almost as if the whole temple was real! 

So know that I explained what these cards were for, allow me to explain how I got my hands on one of them. No I did not order them online. It was given to me by a very good and awesome friend (shout out to Laurie!). See I was only a toddler when the ride opened so I could not have obtained one. My friend had this card and seeing how big of a Indy fan I am, she gave me hers. Isn't that awesome?! These puppies go for at least $30 to 40 bucks online. And here's another thing. There were three different designs (so far that I know) for these cards. I have one of them. That means I have to hunt down the other two. This time on my own, meaning I have to use the interwebs. 

I'm actually lucky to even have a friend who kept her card since she was a kid. Hardly a lot of people keep
stuff like that (notice I say hardly. Disney fans keep everything and maybe Indy fans too like me). Which also reminds me of something else. Back when Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was coming out in theaters in 2008, Disneyland had this thing where they promoted the whole Indiana Jones thing. Their park maps had pictures of the Indiana Jones ride. They called this event "Indiana Jones: Summer of Hidden Mysteries." Apparently you would see a Disney employee running around dressed as Indiana Jones (I never saw this, and mind you I did going during this event). Well long story short there were special maps given out for kids and I never got my hands on it. And the park map I had was ripped up. So now I have to get my hands on those items...again.    

That was my little history lesson/ Indy haul this week my dear readers. Hope you enjoy it. Oh and one more thing. If you visit Disneyland and want to get a decoder card you have to go inside the Indiana Jones store (located in Adventureland right in front of the Jungle Cruise). But you won't get an actual card. Instead the Disney employee will give you a print out of the card on a sheet of paper. But hey, something is something right? Adios! 

These cards are small!