Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Geek News: Disney Threatens the Star Wars Universe!

Ladies and gentlemen, I am alive and well. I haven't been blogging because of school. There's something about school that just sucks the creative juices out of me (maybe it's all those damn essays they make us write). But now I'm free, for a while that is. There are many things that I have done and haven't been able to share them. That will sort of change now. I have a smart phone now, meaning I can now blog even more. Since I'm The Traveling Informant, I feel I haven't informed much about anything. I figured I should start informing about the place I live (L.A.) and the changes there have been to my surroundings. Expect more things like that (of course, that means I need to get out more). I'm thinking of opening a new blog dedicated to just comics, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and retro video games. Basically opening a blog where I write and share how geeky I am. That way, I'd just concentrate on having interesting things here on this blog than mixing geekyness and I don't know...observations? I don't feel like rebooting everything. This is just a thought for now. But definitely more blog posts on interesting things. Now moving on to GEEKY THINGS LIKE STAR WARS AND INDIANA JONES!

I just recently really got into Star Wars. I mean really into it. Enough for me to start reading the novels and purchase the Star Wars Saga on blu ray (I finally own a blu ray player) and check out those Dark Horse comic books. And even for me to start buying Star Wars figures. Don't think I just got into Star Wars. I've liked Star Wars enough for me to see them before and to have some Star Wars merchandise. But now it's like I really like Star Wars. Not as much as Indiana Jones, however. :)

Which brings me to this topic: Why is Disney so gosh darn greedy? Yes we all know Star Wars is now officially Disney's. And in fact I didn't care much. As I stated before I did flip out when I heard Marvel was part of Disney (a few years back) and when I heard that Indiana Jones is now officially owned by Disney I freaked out! Disney owns everything I LOVE! Well now I hear that Dark Horse Comics is no longer going to make Star Wars comics because Disney wants Marvel to make the Star Wars comics. To make matters worse, I hear that Disney has created a committee that focuses on just Star Wars and it's universe. Their job is too pick whats
canon and what's not. According to the website io9.com, this committee will search through all the Star Wars expanded universe material (like books, video games, and comics) and choose what they keep and remove. That means the novels and graphic novels that have already been out there for years may be removed. And there is a lots of  Star Wars expanded universe stuff out there. I guess Disney is trying to remove this already established universe to make room for their upcoming Star Wars films. But should they do that?  Hardcore Star Wars are losing their sh*t, posting up Youtube videos in protest against this act by Disney. As of now I'm buying Star Wars novels. Like I said, I'm really getting into the whole Star Wars scene. I'm in the process of reading a series of books written by Timothy Zhan known as The Thrawn Trilogy by many Star Wars fans. But then a thought hit me again. Disney is planning to reboot the Star Wars universe. Disney also owns the Indiana Jones franchise. Would they reboot the Indiana Jones series as well?

Ladies and gentlemen, we all know Indy is my hero. Hell, The Traveling Informant exists because of Indiana Jones. So I really don't want Disney screwing up the Indiana Jones series at all. I don't want them to reboot Indiana Jones either. No other actor can play Indiana Jones but Harrison Ford himself. I really wish Disney would respect that and not recast Indiana Jones or try to reboot the film series. I also hope they don't destroy the already established Young Indiana Jones series (which if you didn't know was a live action television series that dealt with the adventures of Young Indiana Jones) and the novels that already exist. I would be okay if Disney decides to kick out the video games and the comic books of Indiana Jones. That I would be okay with. But Disney better not f**k with the films, the television series or the novels. And Disney better not recast a new Indiana Jones because Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones, end of story. Punks. I wouldn't mind seeing a CGI Indiana Jones film just as long as Indiana Jones looks like Harrison Ford. Respect Harrison Ford. The man is a beast!

Back to Star Wars, I understand Disney destroying half of the expanded universe to make films but I still don't think they should do that. Instead what they can do is base the new films on some of the novels and let the novels exist. It's pleasing both to the fans and me. Disney can do better. Don't kill off some of the characters many have already come to love. If Disney decides to destroy the whole comic stuff and maybe that cartoon television series then that would be cool with me. Maybe they can make it better? But the comic book stuff can be rid of. At least I think so. So that was my geek moment for you guys. What do you guys think, should Disney destroy the already established universe for Star Wars (and lets not forget my baby daddy Indiana Jones) or should they leave the Expanded Universe as it is and base their new films on the books? Leave your comments below! Geek out with me!

Check out the link for io9 and the Star Wars news:

http://io9.com/disney-appoints-a-group-to-determine-a-new-official-st-1497893812

2 comments:

  1. A true computer geek never stops learning. They are always open to something new and if they don't understand, they ask for help. Their objective is to collect knowledge and put things together into a perspective.

    Cool Geeky Gadgets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really a computer geek. Heck, I barely know how to use my phone. I'm more of a comic/Indiana Jones/ Star Wars/Star Trek geek. But I do agree with you sir.

      Delete